Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Indigestion

I finally understand what indigestion is. I never really experienced before and now I've got it down to a science.
There are 4 different types of burps:
1. Feels good, tastes good -- like after chocolate milk or soda.
2. Feels good, tastes bad -- maybe this category doesn't exist...can't think of an example.
3. Feels bad, tastes good -- like after apples.
4. Feels bad, tastes bad -- like after cheerios, tuna, peanut butter, and pesto.
Which brings me to another interesting pregnancy observation/experience. I despise peanut butter and pesto! Perhaps it is because I know that it provides the nasty aftereffect of burp #4, but also, the smells are simply repulsive and the tastes...well, i'm not going near enough to try them.
And here's the thing about cravings: Everybody has cravings, pregnant or not pregnant, and it's not even that when you're pregnant the cravings are stronger; but rather, it's that the aversions make you unable to eat anything OTHER THAN exactly what you're craving. For example, cheetohs. I love cheetohs and often crave them, but because i'm not repulsed by all other food in the world, I am able to settle on a healthier, also tasty option. Whereas when you are pregnant, when you want the cheetohs and someone (someone else or your very own conscience) says, well, how about some cottage cheese or an apple instead?, the answer is, "absolutely not. I need the cheetohs." And again, it's not because the craving is stronger, but it's because the craving is working together with the aversions which veto all other options. So in essence, the craving IS stronger, but only because strong aversions have kicked in.
That's my theory anyways.
Tomorrow I will be 10 weeks, which is exciting. We've decided to start telling people after my doctor's appointment which takes place on 11 weeks. But maybe we should also wait for those genetic tests to come back. Those freak me out and I try not to think about them....
I should really be working...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails