Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My Innocent Little Poet

Yesterday, while walking home from the park, we heard a monkey cackling!

Well, not really. There was a woman on her phone laughing very loudly (in one of the apartments we were passing), and Hila looked at me and said, completely seriously, "Mommy! I hear a monkey!" She really, truly thought there was a monkey.

And that reminded me of something else she said recently. We were outside and I pointed to some flowers and said, "Those flowers are beautiful." And then she pointed to some rocks and sticks and said, "Those rocks and sticks are so so pretty also."

And THAT reminded me of a Bukowski poem that I really like:

I Met A Genius

I met a genius on the train
today
about 6 years old,
he sat beside me
and as the train
ran down along the coast
we came to the ocean
and then he looked at me
and said,
it's not pretty. 
Charles Bukowski
His example is the opposite of mine, but his point is the same. No, it's not that kids are dumb; it's that they are so beautifully oblivious. They don't say the expected ("Those flowers are beautiful" or "The ocean is pretty"), but they look at things with a fresh, unbiased eye, and say what they truly think, describe what their eyes really see. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails