Saturday, February 05, 2005

same, same, but different

(That subject line is a personal joke between me and Thailand, well, me and everyone here and Thailand. But I'll let you in on it too--when the Thais are trying to sell you something--the same exact something that everyone on the block is selling--to try and convince you that their's is, in fact, not the same thing at a more expensive price, but is better, they assure you that it is "same same, but different." Ahhh. How easily their gimicks work! I have done wonders for their market.)

Anyways....Hi! How are you? Good! Me too. (I mean, I'm fine. But I'm also exceptionally good.) (Wow, I've already written a lot, and yet, have written nothing at all.)

Anyways (take 2)...I just got off a 5 hour bus that took me south of Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng. I can't tell you much about it yet except that there is an internet cafe next door to my guesthouse. So I will tell you about Luang P.

L.P. is Laos' second largest city. (The capital city, Vientienne, is largest.) They call it a city, but it is really a village. It is great. In fact, L.P. is the first place I've been to all trip that I would return to. Here's what I did: I gained back all the weight that I lost. I went cafe and bakery hopping the whole time. I walked a lot and rode a bike a lot, but I don't think the output equalled the intake. Lao coffee tastes a bit like mud--does French coffee taste like mud?--but they have ovaltine which goes well with cake too, and they have fruit shakes. I also found granola.

I did other things too. I took a boat to a paper village and a whiskey village. My boat driver -- Boontavi -- was drinking beer during the drive. I found that odd. Boontavi used to be a monk, for about 10 years. All the guys in Laos used to be Monks. Luang Prabang is filled with monks, in fact, b/c if you are a boy and you are between the ages of 12 and 22, you are most likely a novice studying in one of the many many monestaries. I made lots of new friends--I am as beautiful as a temple, they tell me! Ah, monk pick-up lines. I pretended I was a writer for a newspaper--who MIGHT be writing an article--and took copious notes while they were talking. I have their whole schedule and some nice thoughts recorded. (I MAY one day write for a newspaper...) I was surrounded by little monks. Some tourists passed by and took pictures.

One morning, I woke up early and went outside and bought some sticky rice and food wrapped in banana leaves. I went and sat outside a monestary gate waiting for the little monks to come out for breakfast. at 6:45 on the dot, they emerged in a straight solemn line, with tins around their necks, open and waiting for food. I gave them food and felt good. (Seeing "food" and "good" next to each other like remind me how lucky I am that I already speak English.)

And I went to the "ballet", but left early cuz it was so boring. But in the end, it was so good that I left early cuz guess who had just gotten to town and was outside in the market? You'll never guess, so i'll tell you...Molly! Yay!

And now it's Friday so soon is shabbos and we'll probably just read and lounge around. We are fully equipped with candles, wine, baguettes, and books. We will also plan what we want to do next. We are trying to fit Cambodia in, but I have been spoiled by a plane ride and cannot imagine being on a bus for as long as Molly is willing to sit on a bus. She says it's part of the "experience." Experience, my butt, i tell her. I'm paying $2/night for lodging. I think I'm getting my experience.

Well, as usual, I'm having fun, but still get waves of homesickness and miss all of you terribly. Laos is nice, but would be much nicer with you. :)

Love, Sar

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails